Tuesday, April 8, 2008

March Sadness

I couldn't have been more wrong about the Final Four than I was this year. In an unfortunate turn of events, Kansas, after upseting my favorite (UNC) in an unimaginable fashion, came back two days later and did nearly the exact same thing to Memphis.
I originally had UNC beating Memphis in the finals. That's still what I think should have happened. But I was wrong and Kansas somehow pulled it out.
They were making a big deal out of Roy Williams sitting in the stands wearing a Kansas sticker on his sweater during the game on 'Mike and Mike' this morning. For whatever reason, some people didn't like it. I thought it was a respectful thing for him to do and I probably wouldn't have been that respectful if it were me. Mike and Mike didn't seem to care about it. Probably because they know it's not a big deal.
Back to the game. There's a lot of talk about the mistakes Memphis made at the end of regulation; "Should they have fouled?" "Should they have called a timeout?" etc. None of that matters. The thing that does matter is the free-throws they missed in the last seconds. That's right, with less than 20 seconds to go, Memphis missed three of four free-throws, including two from Chris Douglas-Roberts and Derrick Rose, that would have ended it right there. No overtime. No Kansas win.
It's about fundamentals, kids. Maybe Calipari will spend more practice time next year working on free-throws and they'll make a comeback next season. But that doesn't really matter now because I'm calling it right now... that's right, North Carolina wins it all next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment