Sunday, May 10, 2009

Review: OPSEC (Zuda)


Violent protestors clash on the streets of Britain as the EU debates granting Turkey full membership. Join Tom Carter, deniable operator for MI5, on the trail of a terrorist attack.

_________________________________________

OPSEC is a darker version of James Bond/Jason Bourne. I love spy thrillers and this story doesn't disappoint.

This is another good example of how to do a Zuda entry right. Establish your characters, the situation and the get on with it. At this point, action helps a lot... and like I said, OPSEC doesn't disappoint.

I wanna start with the main character, Tom Carter. From the moment he's introduced we're given an ample amount of information about who he is and what he does. If I didn't like the character at this point, (which I did) the minute I saw him use stealth to subdue his target and subsequently bust into the next room, guns blazing, and take out the rest of his heathen enemies I was sold.

We don't really get a ton of details about the plot aside from the fact it's a spy story about an agent tracking down a terrorist cell. There's some side-story information thrown in early on in the story that helps set the mood for what's to come.

Despite not getting a ton of details, there is enough to build intrigue. You get a clear sense that the writer knows enough about what he's doing to give you an interesting story. I felt this way and I'm really hoping at this point that I'll get to see more of this comic.

The art is wonderful. It's realistic style meshes well with the darker, more realistic idea of what a secret agent really is (as opposed to what you might get from a James Bond movie) 

The colorist does a fantastic job of selling this. In fact, it probably plays the biggest role in giving the art that realistic feel.

Overall, the dynamic action scenes and intelligent story-telling are presented here in what I can only call a phenomenal webcomic.


0 comments:

Post a Comment