Monday, June 15, 2009

Kung Fu Theater: Fist of Legend

I was going through all my old Kung Fu movies on DvD the other day and pulled out about 35 that I hadn't seen in a long time, including all 5 Bruce Lee flicks - please don't tell anybody! Ironically, the first one I watched was 'Fist of Legend', a remake of the Bruce Lee classic Chinese Connection (The Hong Kong English title was 'Fist of Fury' which was also the American title of his first feature film titled 'The Big Boss' in Hong Kong)

One of the things that really stuck out to me that I'd never really noticed before was that the fight scenes aren't really that spectacular. For the most part, they're pretty tame compared to a lot of his other movies.

The lone exception is this fight (the video says vs "Uncle Noh" - that's a mistake) in which he faces off against Funakoshi About half way through the fight they put on blind folds to even things out after Funakoshi gets dust in his eyes.

It's a phenomenal example of fight choreography. That fight scene alone makes it worth watching, but it's also a good story and a generally good movie. I had to put up with the poor English dubbing because my DvD doesn't have the original language for whatever reason, but I've grown an immunity to that after watching so many translated movies over the years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment