Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rambling: Writer's Block

Everything feels quiet and slow today. I feel like I'm stuck in twilight and the clock won't move. It's like a strange unwanted euphoria. I'm not sure if anyone should ever feel this peaceful.

I've got absolutely nothing to write about right now so here's the first installment of 'Rambling'

I've been suffering a little writer's block lately. I wrote an eight page script for a hopeful Zuda submission and let it sit for a few days to see what I think after giving it some time. I didn't like it.

It's not that I wasn't happy with the story overall, it's that some of the characters' choices didn't seem to follow any logical consistency. I wanted a main supporting character (Beth) to have her doubts about Bobby (the main character) but at the same time, a main theme of the story was that she provides shelter (and in effect an anchor) for him.

When I re-read the story I couldn't get past this. It nagged at me like a self-centered cat demanding attention to the point you can't do anything else until it's happy.

I came to the conclusion I'd add a third character in my second draft. That would allow Beth to fill her role as Bobby's anchor while using this new character as a way to introduce that doubt in Beth.

It made perfect sense and everything seemed fine. Then my mind went blank and I have no idea where to start. GODDAMMIT!

That's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment