Saturday, September 12, 2009

NFL Picks Sept 13

Week 1 of the NFL looks like it should be pretty good. I'm picking more than a handful of games this week! (winners in green)

NFL Week 1:
Miami at Atlanta
Denver at Cincinnati
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
Dallas at Tampa Bay
Philadelphia at Carolina
Washington at NY Giants
Chicago at Green Bay


Once we get into late October thru November, I might actually like college football better than the NFL. I could go on and on about why I feel that way, but I'll save that for another post (maybe). The reason I bring that up is because I feel the opposite about the start of football season.

On any given Sunday - or Monday, and sometimes Thursday and Saturday - you're almost guaranteed to see several good competitive games. That's because of the scheduling.

In college, the schools get to hand-pick a large portion of their schedule. They usually have to play a set number of games against schools in their conference, but after that, they get to choose. So all the big schools start the year playing small schools you've never heard of so they can get off to a "great" start and not hurt their chances of playing for a national title.

Every team's schedule in the NFL is decided by the league's officials. You play the three other teams in your division twice but after that, the league tells you who you're playing the other 10 games. That means no padding your record or making sure you get off to that "great" start.

It's a better system of governing and maybe the biggest reason the NFL is so much more profitable than NCAA Football - which let's face it, is by far the next best thing.

That's all for this post... I just wanted to get that off my chest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment