Saturday, February 7, 2009

Review: Fire and Water (Zuda)

Fire and Water

The story is a metaphor of an inner journey. The human beings live inside the mountains over an Earth covered by toxic clouds, since the Big Fire destroyed all the lands. Skarlett decides to leave, looking for...

_________________________________________

I'm not against poetry webcomics... but I'm not for them either. I'm just not that into them. So when I started reading this I knew I wasn't gonna like it.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a good webcomic. It's just poetic enough to be a poem, but not so poetic that all you wanna do is grab the writer by the neck and shake the shit out of them until they "stop being pretentious and just spit it out already!!" 

Actually, only the first half of this is a "poetry" comic before settling in to an actual story. That part didn't really grab me either but like I've always said about the Zuda format - you don't really get enough to make a solid decision on weather or not you want this single webcomic to be the one you get to keep reading in just 8 pages... and because of the nature of this comic, that's more like 4 pages. 

The main character seems cool, but I'd love to know a little more about what's going on in this world before voting for it. 

The art is fantastic. For those of you who've read Clinical Assassin", the graphic novel I wrote, or my political webcomic strip Untelevised, you've probably noticed I love to use grayscale (When J.C. offered to do the art on Clinical Assassin in grayscale I couldn't say no) with only a few pieces of color (ie Untelevised)

It was cool to see something similar in this comic. When Scarlett is collecting fire and water, the subtle use of color for the two elements adds a whole new... element (sorry) to the art. It would've been nice to see those colors standing out on a grayscale canvas instead of the plain looking inked line-art. But don't think I'm criticizing the art because I'm not. I really did love it.

Overall this one does a good job of mixing poetry with art. If you're in to that kinda thing you might like this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment